Krita 2.3, New Feature #5: Canvas Rotation

I have been dreaming of this feature for ages, and then I bought a tablet PC a few days before it get implemented in Krita when I do not need it anymore :) But it is still an extremelly cool feature, that was started by Lukáš Tvrdý and finished by Dmitry Kazakov.

When drawing in real life, like on paper, it is very common to rotate the paper to be able to positionnate your hand to optimize the control on a curve. Unfortunately, rotating the tablet does not work, the brain seems unable to map the hand gesture with the screen content. The only solution is to rotate the content, in older release, you would have had to use the transform tool, but then it introduce quality loss for each rotation, and now, there is a feature that rotate the canvas without affecting the quality. The pan tool allows to select the rotation, by shift-clicking.

Rotation of the canvas in krita

In combination with the infinite canvas and the possibility to mirror the canvas, Krita makes sure artists get the best drawing experience.

This entry was posted in KDE, KOffice, Krita, Open Source and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Krita 2.3, New Feature #5: Canvas Rotation

1. jay says:

cool feature indeed!

2. Dread Knight says:

This is awesome! This was one of my top requests, been waiting for a long time =)

3. fsadf says:

holy crap! is amazing! i was dreaming about that feature since i bought my wacom

4. scnd101 says:

Why wouldn’t rotating the tablet work? It’s what I’ve been doing all this time, and I never had any issues with it. Maybe that’s just me though…

Maybe, for me, my brain try to compensate so that the gesture get adjusted to what is on the screen.

6. spc says:

Krita should be stand alone app.
    I want to use Krita , not whole KDE!

No problem there. We already have plenty of users that don’t use KDE, we even have an occasional contributor who use Gnome.

8. Asmageddon says:

I’m waiting until i can use it without installing a single piece of Koffice in my xubuntu installation…

Don’t wait, it will not happen.

10. Asmageddon says:

Why? :<
    Whole koffice weights a bit, besides i don't use any office programs.
    is it really impossible?
    Wouldn't it be better for krita to be standalone, and just have some koffice integration plugin? :/

You don’t need the whole koffice, only the libraries. And the reason is that there are many things that are common between krita and an application like Words or Stage, more details in this post http://blog.cberger.net/2006/12/01/why-krita-require-lcms-qt-kofficelib-etc/ . In other word, if we did not depends on kofficelibs, we would have anyway to implement a lot of stuff ourself.

That said both krita and koffice/calligra are highly modular, so it is possible to strip them down, but that is the work of distribution/integrators, not ours.

12. spc says:

I’m sorry but dependancies drag in truck load of KDE junk
    Just check deps for kdebase-runtime.
    libkmediaplayer ?? nepomunk ??
    It happens that I don’t want this littering my drive.
    It’s like you wan’t a glass of milk and you need to buy a cow.
    Cheers.

I am of the opinion that you will never be satisfied with the dependencies, so we won’t try and we will concentrate on satisfiying the users we feel we can satisfy.

14. Krassboter says:

@spc:
    Thats not a krita-problem, thats an ubuntu-problem. If you REALLY want to use krita, you can compile the packages yourself with the minimum set of dependencies. kdelibs does not need nepomuk, as krita does not.