Braindump 0.9.0

Today, while I was about to prepare a small bug fix release of braindump 0.9.x (the version compatible with KOffice 2.2), I realized that I had actually not made any release of braindump for koffice 2.2… So here it is, Braindump 0.9.0, compatible with KOffice 2.2 is available for download: Braindump 0.9.0.

And for those who has forgotten what Braindump is, here is a video:

This entry was posted in Braindump, KDE, KOffice, Open Source and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Braindump 0.9.0

1. Alex Neundorf says:

Wow, that looks cool :-)

Is there anything like this yet or is this the first of its kind ?
    I mean, this looks like something were I might actually be able to take notes on a computer :-)

Not text-based like a word processor, not item-oriented like a presenter, not weird-structure-oriented like mindmaps.

Alex

I don’t know. I think there are quiet a few proprietary application for windows which would be very close to achieve that. Personally, what motivates me is to reproduce the power of a white board where you are free to write and draw wherever you want, on a computer. My current work flow tends to be using a real white board, and then to copy the result at the end in braindump. I Really need to spend time investigating how to make it more friendly for input :)

3. iampiti says:

Without having used either of them (yes, I know) I guess braindump could be compared to Microsoft Onenote. There are several similar programs with the goal of taking notes on tablet PCs.
    @Cyrille Have you used braindump with pen input? Would it work ok?

Yes but it is not just about taking notes. If the notes are mostly texts, something like knotes is better suited. It is about taking graphical notes. That said, I have no idea what MS Onenote can do, so it is possible that it is quiet similar.

I have not really tested it with pen input, for the main reason that for now koffice (and therefor braindump) lacks integration with hand writing recognition tool (or a good virtual keyboard), and I do think that using my tablet pc with a pen on “laptop” mode is not very confortable, and when it is in “tablet” mode, the keyboard is inaccessible. Otherwise, tablet pen works fine for drawings.

5. giuseppe says:

I guess installation can be not really trivial for a standard user (./configure && make && make install is standard for me). I think an INSTALL file in the root directory would help. I needed to add /usr/lib to the FIND functions in /home/aprea/src/braindump-0.9.0/cmake/modules/FindKOffice.cmake and set the prefix using CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in /home/aprea/src/braindump-0.9.0/CMakeLists.txt. Maybe it’s only my poor experience with cmake. By the way, is there any official icon for braindump?

6. giuseppe says:

How can you save your work? I can’t find any “save” button. It seems you may do without saving on a single machine but how can you send a whiteboard-file to a friend, for example?

Many thanks

Yes, an export function is a missing feature. Good point.

8. giuseppe says:

I have problems when removing whiteboards (application always crashes). Where am i supposed to report the bug?

thanks

9. Very Cool!

This seems to be a gleam of hope! So I hope furthermore that the export to opendocument will come soon.

On my quest I stumbled over dkissert/semantik and basket note pads, both disappointed and inspired in equal measure. So do you think some functionality could be integrated? For example integration into Kontact? Or access to vituoso rdf data? Kind of Mindmapping-Mode with collapsible baskets? What do you think about a kind of a pass-through-”graphviz”-style-attribute for a children and its subs, so it would be exported into a opendocument as graphviz-image. Or think ahead, to query, represent/visualize, build and style rdf-graphs and export as document. Would be usefull for diploma thesis. Insert automatically generated registers, lists, indices tables of quotation, terms, articles, chapters, prices or contacts. And auto-References like: “see page n” would be very usefull.

What do you think?

greets
    dom

“So I hope furthermore that the export to opendocument will come soon.”
    It is kind of allready possible :) Since all copy/paste are done using ODF, so copying in braindump and pasting in Words/Stage/Karbon works and keep all the formating. Obviously, a real export feature would be nice.

“So do you think some functionality could be integrated?”
    Yes some functionnality could be integrated. But I have to say that I am rather satisfied with the current state of braindump :) A part from a few quirks, but that are mostly coming lack of features in the underlying libraries/plugins and that will hopefully get fixed in Calligra :)

“For example integration into Kontact?”
    Not planned. I am not sure if it makes sense.

As for the RDF part, there is nepomuk integration in Calligra, which should in theory be benefical to braindump. As for the “collapsible baskets”, I am not sure what you mean exactly.

11. Dominik Kummer says:

Thanks for your quick answers!

For your next version of braindump, it would be very nice if a mindmapping-view and document-preview like as in semantik were added, so I can focus on the structure of the document and easily add/move nodes. And later do the formatting or drawing. And please enable conditional Auto-formatting depending on regular-expressions or depending on the position of the text-node (depth in structure for example). So the user may define filters/rules and bind them to a style.

If you develop an export-function to pdf or odf, do you think it would be possible to export through a template-document, where headers/footers, page size, margins, table of contents are defined?

Do you think that would make sense?

greets