braindump

Missing an application to gather notes and ideas in KDE4, and willing to play with koffice’s flake library, I have decided to start a new application called braindump which is a tool to dump the content of your brain (ideas, bookmarks, images…) to your computer.

For those who wonder why I did, apparently, start from scratch instead of helping with the port of a similar tool (like basket), the main two reasons is that I wanted to write a non-koffice based application to test the limit of the use of flake outside the koffice document based world, and the second reason is that I think that flake is the right technologie to do it:

• it gives for free a lot of shapes (texts, images, music, chart… other still in developement such as formula, marble… or in planning: video)
  • if I miss a shape (such as a todo/progress), writting it is rather easy and makes it available for reuse
  • it also gives quick access to ODF capabilities (for copy/paste, and importing/exporting information)
  • and currently someone is adding change tracking (for history, and collaborative editing) to flake which should allow braindump to allow collaborative editing of sections.

The main application is 2300 lines of code, I expect that the size will double in order to connect all the missing bits of the UI. But then everything else will be in shared libraries.

Being in a playfull mood I also implemented a web shape for flake, making possible to insert web pages in koffice documents and in braindump:

The source code is hosted in the Braindump repository. You will need KOffice from trunk to be able to build. It’s already somewhat usuable, and I am hopping that the first stable release can happen with KOffice 2.1 in October.

This entry was posted in Braindump, Open Source and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to braindump

1. Tom says:

Wow, that sounds really cool.

I didn’t know you had a hacker in you ;)

I will definitely try it once 2.1 is out.

2. Thomas Thym says:

Cool, this sounds great. Can’t wait to test it.

3. Bui says:

I love the concept here! This may require way more work than you are willing to put into this, but one feature I would love to see is similar OCR capabilities as those found in Evernote. I have no idea how it would work, but it would be a killer feature!

4. KenP says:

On an unrelated note can I ask if the “global menu” I can see on the KDE4 panel is a new feature coming up in KDE4? So far, I only knew it could be done with XBar only when the Bespin theme was used …

5. Marcel says:

Why not help port Basket over to KDE4? The OSS scene really loves code duplication, duh…

6. Snirp says:

This could easily replace basKet! I like your philosophy. Contributing to koffice in the process.

“he OSS scene really loves code duplication” Marcel

Did you even read the article? I guess basKet developers should have come up with this.

7. Wyatt says:

Excellent! Basket (“basKet?” “BasKet?” whatever) is one of my most-used applications and part of why I’m still on 3.5. It might be bitchy, but if possible, could you please implement importing of exported baskets? That would be stellar. Beyond that, a simple way to keep two installs in sync would be invaluable.

I’ve tried web-based systems, but they always end up sluggish and javascripty, have some annoying amount of tinkering to get them sufficiently set up, or connectivity on the go isn’t all that great.

But Basket…it simply blows every other app I’ve tried out of the water; it’s fast as hell and very easy on the eyes (it’s hard to believe it’s a Qt3 app).

Flake has been something I’ve been excited about since dude was doing his “Pillars of KDE4″ articles, so I’m liking this idea a lot; the biggest off-put I find with Basket is the lack of flexibility I find sometimes. Shape, colour, linking and arrangement should be second nature to an app like this. And of course, integration with the metadata ontologies :).

So yeah, can’t wait.

8. MadiG says:

I can’t wait this very interesting app anymore! So, i try to build it and get this
    > cmake ./
    – QT_QTTEST_LIBRARY: Qt4::QtTest
    – QT_QTUITOOLS_LIBRARY: Qt4::QtUiTools
    – QT_QTWEBKIT_LIBRARY: Qt4::QtWebKit
    – QT_QTXML_LIBRARY: Qt4::QtXml
    – QT_QTXMLPATTERNS_LIBRARY: Qt4::QtXmlPatterns
    – QT_PHONON_LIBRARY: Qt4::phonon
    – Found Qt-Version 4.6.1 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
    – Found X11: /usr/lib/libX11.so
    – Phonon Version: 4.3.80
    – Found KDE 4.4 include dir: /usr/include
    – Found KDE 4.4 library dir: /usr/lib
    – Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler preprocessor: /usr/bin/kconfig_compiler
    – Found automoc4: /usr/bin/automoc4
    – Configuring done
    – Generating done
    – Build files have been written to: /home/barutkin/distrib/src/braindump
    > make
    [ 0%] Built target braindumpcore_automoc
    [ 5%] Built target braindumpcore
    [ 5%] Built target braindump_automoc
    [ 7%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/braindump.dir/View.o
    /home/barutkin/distrib/src/braindump/src/View.cpp: In member function ‘void View::ungroupSelection()’:
    /home/barutkin/distrib/src/braindump/src/View.cpp:432: error: no matching function for call to ‘KoShapeUngroupCommand::KoShapeUngroupCommand(KoShapeContainer*&, QList, QUndoCommand*&)’
    /usr/include/KoShapeUngroupCommand.h:41: note: candidates are: KoShapeUngroupCommand::KoShapeUngroupCommand(KoShapeContainer*, const QList&, const QList&, QUndoCommand*)
    /usr/include/KoShapeUngroupCommand.h:33: note: KoShapeUngroupCommand::KoShapeUngroupCommand(const KoShapeUngroupCommand&)
    make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/braindump.dir/View.o] ?????? 1
    make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/braindump.dir/all] ?????? 2
    make: *** [all] ?????? 2

Can anybody help me?

9. Currently braindump only build with koffice 2.1, and you need to use the “flake-2.1″ branch, to access it simply run “hg update flake-2.1″

10. MadiG says:

Cyrille Berger :
    Currently braindump only build with koffice 2.1, and you need to use the “flake-2.1? branch, to access it simply run “hg update flake-2.1?

Ok, thanks, it helped! It is very exciting app and it should be released as soon as possible – there is no analogues for it!!!

11. HI Cyrille, MANY MANY THANKS FOR KRITA! Now a little question: Will it be possible to implement “circular references” inside Braindump unlike linear ones within other projects?

Many thanks in advance, yours truly,
    Andreas Posur (Student BSc CS)